Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Oh, the woes of growing old.

Well. It had to happen eventually. I need to contact my former employer about summer work, and writing a grownup email is harder than it seems. Becoming an adult wouldn't be a problem if there weren't such high standards for how one should act.

Reason #1: I have been raised to be very...casual. Dinner situations that involve me acting like I was not raised in a cave make me uncomfortable.

Reason #2: I haven't yet gained the interest in adult-like topics. I tend to avoid them, because I simply do not know enough about political policies, the physics behind natural or manmade phenomena, why or why we shouldn't do this, that, or the other. Please, if we are going to have a discussion about a socially relevant issue, give me a week's notice to allow preparation and study time.

Reason #3: The business realm is intimidating. I know not of the correct etiquette, or how to network, or what sort of pay is appropriate for job-X with only experience-A. Is there a formula where I can plug all of my information in, and the correct pay wage pops out? I have no way of telling if my plethora of talents are being exploited by The Man.

Reason #4: Taxes. When the day comes where I have to file them myself, the IRS will be on my arse 5 days later. I know I'll only muck it up.


Sure...all of this may seem irrelevant to my worries about this email I need to finish, but it is hard to sound like an adult when you still feel like a child.


<3


PS: on a happier note, I go to Venice this weekend :) If I ever become an international businesswoman, I will at least have the traveling skills down.

qqq <--click if you dare.

1 comment:

  1. I busted out laughing when the link took me to patty's blog. Don't worry Liz... I meet a lot of young parents coaching (in their early early thirties) and realize that standards for being an "adult" have changed over the years. I think you still have to pay taxes though...

    ReplyDelete